Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Holiday at the Sea?

"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." - C.S. Lewis

Yesterday morning, I arose at the pleasant hour of about 9:30. I boiled some water, took my shower, then made morning coffee in my beloved french press, which was given to me by my parents for my birthday. (Funny how much things like that mean to me as I get older. I frequently try to figure at which point in my life I stopped asking for toys of the children's variety.) While my coffee brewed, I started making my breakfast: red potatoes, onions, eggs, and sausage all fried together. Just as the food finished cooking, the sun came out, and it occurred to me that I should sit outside. Our deck is severely lacking in the area of seating. So I settled for the roof.
It wasn't long before I was laying on my back on the roof with my eyes closed, soaking in all the vitamin D I could and singing to Zac Brown Band. Right about the time I realized what I was doing, I thought of this quote and started laughing.
"Far too easily pleased? Are you kidding?" I thought. That was the most fun I'd had in so long, and I was doing NOTHING. Yet this quote was telling me that I should want more than that. I realized I really would have just as much fun, if not more, making throwing mud around than I would going to the beach. Being able to sit on the roof in the sun was a huge blessing to me, and yet somehow, according to Lewis, I was supposed to be striving for more.
Being easily amused has given me so much joy in all of the little things that people always overlook. All the little wisecracks or the puns that occur in conversation and cause groans from everyone else make me laugh more than things that everyone else finds hysterical. I don't know what it is, but I actually like being content with the little things like mud pies.
Because there's sand at the beach.
And that stuff is IRRITATING.

No comments:

Post a Comment